Today its all about nails, so, the texture, shape and length of the nails talk a lot about the health, basic hygiene and personal sense of style of a person. Nail care is an important part of personal grooming and this you simply cannot ignore its importance. Many of us often tend to neglect a very important part of our body, our nails. Gorgeous looking nails would not just boost the inner confidence in you but also make you feel pampered. Below are a few Do's and Don'ts as far as nail care is concerned.
- You must keep your nails clean. Take time to wash in and around your
nails. Soak your fingers in warm soapy water and use a soft brush to
clean them. This will prevent infections due to germs and dirt
accumulations. Dead skin around the nails must be removed using a pumice
stone. Regular manicure of your hands will help in getting rid of the
dead skin accumulation around the nails.
- Always keep your fingernails dry. When your fingernails are wet it allows the formation of bacteria and fungi under your fingernails. Whenever you you’re your hands use a good quality cotton towel to pat dry your hands.
- To stop exposing your hands and fingers to harsh chemicals, wear gloves when washing dishes, washing clothes, cleaning the house, washing your car, using harsh chemicals while working on your garden and so on.
- It is important to regularly trim and file your nails with the help of sharp clippers. Never use any blunt tool to trim your nails as it can cause damage. You must trim your nails depending upon the growth rate of your nails.
- The best way to cut your nails is to first trim the nails straight
across and finish it up by giving a gentle round shape to the tips. Then
use a nail filer to smoothen your nails. Wash your fingers and then
wait for fifteen minutes before trimming and filing your nails.
- Keep your finger well moisturized to avoid dryness. When using a hand lotion or moisturizer, you must apply it both on the nails as well as the cuticles. Olive oil is a great moisturizer for healthy nails and before going to bed you can use this oil to keep your nails well moisturized
- Take out time and massage your hands properly. A hand massage stimulates blood circulation and helps in the growth of nails making them healthy and strong. You must go for a hand massage with olive oil once in a week.
- Offer protection to your weak nails by applying a coat of nail hardener on your nails. This way weak nails will become stronger and will not break easily when exposed to water.
- Avoid exposing your nails in cold weather as it will dehydrate your nails and cuticles. It will make your nails prone to breaking, chapping and discoloration.
- It is essential to allow your nails to breathe freely. This is why you must maintain a gap between nail polishes. When using nail paint you must first use a base coat on your nails and then proceed with the nail paint. This will help in maintaining the original color of your nails.
- Eating a healthy and well balanced diet is essential for the overall
development and growth of nails. For healthy nails calcium is very
- You need to manicure your nails to make them look beautiful and healthy and too much manicure can weaken your nails. Manicure once in ten to twelve days is good.
- Never use a metal nail filer to give shape to your nails as it can cause damage to your nails.
- Avoid biting your nails as it is regarded as an unhealthy habit. Nail biting can give an uneven and ugly shape to your nails. Always use a nail cutter to cut your nails.
- Nail paints beautify your nails but you must avoid using dark color nail paints as it can cause chapping and fading of the natural color of your nails. For the benefits of your nails use clear and lighter color nail paints.
- Never cut or file you nails when they are wet. This is because wet nails are delicate and can break easily.
- To remove your nail paint never use a blade as it can leave small scratches on the nails. Using blades mean you will not have smooth and pleasant looking nails.
- Do not pick at the cuticles as it can cause bacteria or fungal infection which is not good for the overall health of the nail bed.
- Do not make the mistake of pulling off hangnails as it can cause damage to the surrounding skin area. With the help of a nail clipper carefully clip off hangnails.
- Do not cut your nails very deeply as it will cause pain and you will find difficulty in doing your regular tasks. There are also high chances of infections and inflammations when the nails are cut deeply.
How to get a manicure at home
You would need:
1. Warm water
2. Cuticle cream
3. Manicure scissor
4. Nail cutter
5. Nail filer
6. Nail brush
7. Nail polish remover
8. Base coat
9. Nail polish
- To begin with, make sure all your tools are clean and sterilized.
- Remove your old nail polish, using cotton ball and nail polish remover(prefer non acetone nail polish remover)
- Then proceed towards shaping your nails, never file your nails when wet (read that again its a sin to file your nails when they are wet because they can break too easily). you can shape your nails in either of these 4 basic shapes: round, square, oval and pointed. The shape of the nail should conform to the shape of finger. File your nails in one direction. Back and forth motion is a big no no.
- Soak your nails in soapy lukewarm water for 5 to 10 minutes, you can add e few drops of essential oil of any fragrances of your chance , Epson salt and few drops of lemon juice (it destains your nails).
- Apply cuticle cream or Vaseline and push your cuticles back with help of ear bud. Apply cream or Vaseline and massage your hands well. Avoid cutting cuticles because its painful and may cause infections.
- Wash your nails using a nail brush.
- Exfoliate your skin taking soapy water and sugar to get rid of dead skin.
- Soak your hands again.
- Pat dry your hands and massage with good quantities of cream.
- Apply base coat, let it dry follows by nail color of your choice.